Home Crime Prevention - Things You Can Do
• Keep front, patio and back doors closed and locked when you are elsewhere in the house or the garden. Greater importance
during mild and hot weather when there is a greater temptation to leave doors open.
• Ensure that all windows and external doors are not only closed but locked at night or when you are out of the house. Even a
small window could provide a burglar with an opportunity to reach through and open a larger window to gain access.
• Remember to close downstairs windows when leaving a room, to deter the opportunist thief.
• Fit good locks to doors and use them.
• Have window locks fitted to older windows, a burglar is less likely to break in if they have to smash a window.
• Fit and use a door chain.
• Change locks when you move into a new home.
• Fit a good quality alarm from a reputable supplier ask us about this.
• Do not hide spare keys; leave them with someone you trust. Burglars know where to look.
• Find out about property marking schemes such as Smart water. www.smartwater.co.uk If an item is marked it will be much
harder for a thief to sell on. Also, if recovered, stolen items can then be returned to their rightful owner.
• Install external lights. They will welcome genuine visitors and deter the criminal who wishes to work undetected.
• To give the impression that someone is in, set lights on a timer switch. A living room or a bedroom light will give the
impression of occupancy; leaving only a hall or landing light on may not have the same effect.
• Don’t leave your curtains closed during the day.
• If timers are not available, leave a light on if going out at night, and draw curtains/blinds.
• Keep all keys away from windows and external doors so they are not visible/accessible to an opportunist thief.
• Leave a television or radio on to create the impression that someone is in.
• A visible burglar alarm can also act as an deterrent.
• If you see anyone acting suspiciously in your street, call the police.
• Look out for your neighbours’ property if they are away for a few days.